A reminder that idolatry is still a sin in the end times
All praise and glory to the Lord God Almighty the Father along with our Lord Jesus Christ in union with His Holy Spirit. None other is worthy of worship and adoration. To you be the praise forever. Amen.
A warning that Christians in this age still need to follow is that they keep away from idolatry. That means absolutely NO WORSHIP of idols. Anyone who indulges in this sin risks going to Hell and getting punished on Judgement day as well.
“You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments. (Exodus 20:3-6)
Even an image can be the same type of snare as an idol. The glory of God doesn’t dwell in idols and images. More so, false gods are an abomination to all those who profess faith in the Lord Jesus.
Now just because someone doesn’t have an actual idol doesn’t mean the temptation of idolatry is not there. Loving your car, bank balance, art collection and also your favourite celebrities more than God is the same as the vile sin of idolatry. You must never love your talents in anything more than God. In fact anything in your life that takes the place of God is idolatry. So get rid of every form of idolatry which is in your heart. The below verse confirms this:
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. (Colossians 3:5)
A believer in God might wonder, why is this warning being given as I only worship the Lord God? To answer that, I’d say that anything that you love more than God is idolatry and in the end times idolatry will still be there so one must keep away from it. Even in the New Testament this wicked sin remains condemned forever. You can refer to the following verses:
- Little children, keep yourselves from idols.(1 John 5:21)
- Do not be idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink and rose up to play.(1 Corinthians 10:7)
- Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.(1 Corinthians 10:14)
- But I have this against you, that you tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and is teaching and seducing my servants to practice sexual immorality and to eat food sacrificed to idols. I gave her time to repent, but she refuses to repent of her sexual immorality. Behold, I will throw her onto a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her I will throw into great tribulation, unless they repent of her works. (Revelation 2:20-22)
- The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk. (Revelation 9:20)
- But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death. (Revelation 21:8)
Also, the Anti Christ (also called as the Beast) and the false prophet who are opposed to the Lord God will use the image of the Beast to obtain adoration. The Holy Scripture’s openly curses and condemns those who worship the image of the Beast mentioned in Bible prophecy.
And another angel, a third, followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink the wine of God’s wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.” (Revelation 14:9-11)
And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. (Revelation 19:20)
Right from Genesis to Revelation the Bible keeps warning us against being idolators. Even in the end times idolatry will still exist and the Devil will use it so that the Beast receives the worship that belongs to God alone. No wonder we are called to keep away from idols and images if we truly are to honour the Lord God of Heaven Earth.
Suggested prayer: O Lord God forgive me of any form of idolatry that I may have knowingly or unknowingly indulged in. To you belong all worship, glory and adoration and no other. Forgive me for every time when I loved my riches, talents, friends and relatives more than you. I ask pardon for every instance where I considered anything more important in my life than you the Lord of Heaven and Earth. Also, I repent of all worship and adoration of false idols and images that I gave homage to. I resolve to follow your Son Jesus Christ and believe in the Gospel. Cleanse me of my sins and lead me by your Holy Spirit everyday. Amen and Amen.
- Daily prayer (0: let’s put on our armor (0: (hmweimar.wordpress.com)
- Self-abasement and worship of angels?: (hmweimar.wordpress.com)
- Apostasy in the Christian Church by: Matt Slick (prophecynewsandviews.wordpress.com)
Posted on January 30, 2015, in Prophecy, Repentance and tagged avoid idolatry, avoiding deception, Bible prophecy, deceitfulness of riches, Final Judgement, genuine repentance, Gospel of Matthew, Holy Spirit, New Testament, repentance, Sin. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.