Category Archives: Discernment
I remember as per time of the year when most Christian circles celebrate the birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ, there was a man who made an strange request. Yes, an odd one indeed for sure, in my opinion and I’ll let you know why.
We were both where they sell meat and this man kept insisting that the meat be mixed with blood. The shopkeeper asked him the reason for that and the man kept saying that it’s the taste which increases which blood. I was much young and kept giving him a strange look for his order and so did the others there. However he kept insisting to have blood added to the meat and finally had it done his way. But it definitely was not God’s way!
As Christians, we shouldn’t have odd cravings that are inconsistent with the Word of God. This can apply to many things but here the topic is about avoiding animal blood in the food we eat, so I’d rather speak about that. Here are a few Bible verses which clearly forbid having the blood of animals nor of birds for our food:
- But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. (Genesis 9:4)
- For the life of every creature is its blood: its blood is its life. Therefore I have said to the people of Israel, You shall not eat the blood of any creature, for the life of every creature is its blood. Whoever eats it shall be cut off. (Leviticus 17:14)
- “You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it. You shall not interpret omens or tell fortunes.” (Leviticus 19:26)
- Only you shall not eat the blood; you shall pour it out on the earth like water. (Deuteronomy 12:16)
- But should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality, and from what has been strangled, and from blood. (Acts 15:20)
- For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements: that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. (Acts 15:28-29)
- So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)
If you notice from the above verses, avoiding having the blood of any creature for food is mentioned alongside avoiding food sacrificed to idols, avoiding sexual immorality and also avoiding meat of any creature that has been strangled to death. Though I realize that is not taught so often in many churches but the truth remains that having blood for food can and will disqualify oneself from entering heaven or to be more clear it can send oneself to hell.
Since it’s mentioned both in the Old Testament and the New Testament of the Bible, avoiding the blood of animals for food should be very clearly a choice of any one who claims to be a true believer in Jesus Christ. Don’t worry about how to remove the blood. Because many meat shops and markets are very good at clearing out the blood. You can also check out the various online tutorials on how to do it yourself if you have no other option.
One must not rebel against the Word of God and have forbidden food, lest in their unrepentant attitude they walk the broad path that leads to destruction of their spirit. Don’t call anything comfort food, for the comfort from food if any will only be temporary. Instead focus on things eternal.
Christ be with you!
Recently I had a person telling me he lives in the way of a storm which was going to hit his region really bad. He mentioned people are panicking all around the place. I told him not to panic himself but take all the precautions being given by the civil authorities over there. And he agreed to do so. A thought then crossed my mind; why don’t their relatives and friends from other states try to help such people? It’s not possible for everyone to help but it’s not impossible to sincerely care at the same time.
Now a storm of life need not a physical storm. It can be a financial storm; extreme debt and poverty. It can be a medical storm; sudden heart attacks. It can a relational storm; affairs or divorces. What matters is whether you as a believer try to care and help your friends and relatives when they are faced with such storms.
One can give excuses to stop caring and helping, all day long but God knows the human heart all too well. Nothing ever escapes his sight and no one can escape his judgement by acting faithless. That being said God knows your capacity and the extent to which you can help your friends and relatives. It’s just a matter of what you do for them when are faced with the storms of life.
Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh? (Isaiah 58:7)
But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. (1 Timothy 5:8)
There’s one storm of life people shy away from; a spiritual storm. People keep away from others who face spiritual storms. Such storms can be; doubting God, backsliding, spiritual attacks etc. They will say they don’t know what to do, but my contention is that they can always ask their preachers about situation and then help their friends and family.
So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. (Galations 6:10)
Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. (James 5:14)
A true believer in the Almighty will not worship false gods be it idols, treasures or anything else.
Idols need not be only statues, but anything that people try to set up above the Lord God. In this evil and adulterous generation, therefore one must have control over one’s appetites, for anything and everything, lest you become the laughing-stock of your enemies. Your true enemies are first and foremost all those in enmity with the Lord God. Rest of your enemies are just personal and temporal enemies.
Do not be idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink and rose up to play.” (1 Corinthians 10:7)
Therefore, my beloved, shun the worship of idols. (1 Corinthians 10:14)
Every evil earthly nature that causes sinfulness towards God must be eliminated from your life if you claim to truly worship the Lord God. Or else its just a waste of time. No matter how natural the world justifies sin to be, get ride of all your base desires, before they all give you the fruit of your unjust labours.
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: fornication, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. (Colossians 3:5)
Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5:19-21)
We live in times where apostasy is ever on the rise. There have always been heretics who have misled others into wrong doing by promoting falsehood against the Lord God and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Any man, woman or child who professes faith in the Lord Jesus Christ must be on guard against the attacks on his or her faith, be it from the world or within the church. This nothing new under the sun and has happened since many years. It’s just that the terms and topics of heresies change, but they have one thing in common, they deny the Lord by denying the truth of his Holy Word.
- 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. 4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. (Jude 1:3-4)
- But there were also lying Prophets among the people, as there shall be lying teachers also among you, those who bring destructive heresies and deny the Lord who bought them, while bringing upon themselves speedy destruction. (2 Peter 2:1)
What is sin consciousness?
There are preachers who say ‘Why do we bother telling people to “stop sinning!” or “be holy!”? When obviously nobody can stop sin or even be holy? Can you?’ They then go on give out verses which prove that Christ died for our sins and he fulfilled the law for us and also how people can end up sinning again and again. Obviously, we are forgiven by the death and resurrection of Jesus. It true that people do sin repeatedly. However what they conveniently skip is the fact we cannot continue to live in sin and must repent of it, every time.
By sin consciousness they go on to say that you are focusing more on your sin instead of being ‘Christ conscious’. What they actually mean is that you are too focused on your sinful nature and repenting from your sins instead of focusing on Jesus Christ. Their main contention is that Christ died for all of your sins be past, present or future so you don’t need to bother about sinning. Basically, even if you sin you won’t miss out on heaven. This is far from the truth in fact.
It is a false doctrine to tell Christians that after their first repentance, they never need to repent again for new sins. The blood of Jesus does not automatically wash away FUTURE sins, sins need to be repented of after they are committed. If you disagree, just ask Ananias and Sephira about their pre-forgiven sin. This is why repentance in mentioned in the Lord’s Prayer.
Christ consciousness or obedience to God?
Also the bit which they mention about being ‘Christ conscious’ is hardly a Biblical term. And is in fact used in other religions (refer to this link). That itself should be red flag unto a true believer in Christ.
And any thing about being conscious about Christ must be in keeping with the Word of God or else its just falsehood against the Gospel.
When a Christian wants to meditate on Christ it is not just worshiping the Lord but also obeying him. The following verses confirm that we are to obey Christ Jesus who is the Word God.
- For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ (2 Corinthians 10:4-5)
- [Jesus said,] you are my friends, if you do whatsoever I command you. (John 15:14)
- Be doers of the word, and not hearers only. Otherwise, you are deceiving yourselves. (James 1:22)
Teaching disobedience by not repenting is a heretical denial of the commands of Jesus Christ
When Jesus himself commands all people to repent of their sin, then those you who call themselves as believers in Christ too much preach repentance and nothing less. Here are some verses to reflect on:
- From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. (Matthew 4:17)
- Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. (Revelation 2:5)
- 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20)
No who teaches false doctrine must be accepted by those who believe in Christ
It goes beyond question that those who truly love the Lord Jesus Christ must obey him and believe in Him and adhere to the teachings of the Gospel. Anything away from this is false doctrine which a believer must reject and flee away from.
- 6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:6-9)
- 46 “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? 47 Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: 48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. 49 But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.” (Luke 6:46-49)
- If anyone has no love for the Lord, let him be accursed. (1 Corinthians 16:22)
Choose repentance anytime and every time instead of getting tricked by the sin consciousness trick
I’ve mentioned this earlier in one of my previous posts but let me say it again; Why does the Lord throughout the Bible keep warning of severe judgement if some were to receive the mark of the Beast? There are verses that say that those who receive it, will never be forgiven (please refer to Revelation 14:9-11). If the Lord knows that some people are going to sin why does he not use the ‘auto forgiven for the future’ stance? Because simply, such a thing does not exist and is wholly inconsistent with the Gospel. You need to repent if you sin. Period.
Note: This Youtube video is courtesy of The Endless Love of Jesus Ministries
Beauty is indeed a good gift of God; but that the good may not think it a great good, God dispenses it even to the wicked. (St. Augustine of Hippo)