Category Archives: Practical living
There are people who seek good advice. But then there are people who instead use bad counsel. One must totally avoid all usage of bad counsel because its evil.
What is bad counsel?
Bad counsel includes all the things, all the thoughts and all the philosophies that are based on falsehood, greed, immorality, hate and deception. There are the very things that go against the counsel of the Holy Spirit of God.
For example; listening to thieves and then stealing from others is following bad counsel. Reading books that teach you to use deceptive methods to get money illegally is acting on bad counsel.
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, indeed it cannot; and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. (Romans 8:5-8)
What makes bad counsel so evil?
Bad counsel is against the will of God
Following the counsel which involves sin and darkness, is completely against the will of God. Do note that the Lord God won’t bless anyone who walks in the counsel of the wicked.
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers (Psalm 1:1)
Bad counsel leads to eternal damnation
There are some who follow bad counsel who speak about the short team benefits they get, such as cheap fame and quick money. However what they totally miss out is that the counsel of the wicked leads to eternal damnation.
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. (1 John 2:15-17)
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death (Revelation 21:8)
Bad counsel may even lead to punishment on earth
Some people think they can wait until the end of their lives, and then face the consequences. The truth is, following bad counsel may even lead to punishment when one is still alive. And this punishment can be painful too.
For example; If caught stealing from a house, many a times the people of the household and the neighbors are known to beat up the thief mercilessly. And if the police arrive, then won’t charge those people with anything but instead arrest the thief.
People do not despise a thief if he steals to satisfy his appetite when he is hungry, but if he is caught, he will pay sevenfold; he will give all the goods of his house. (Proverbs 6:30-31)
If a man steals an ox or a sheep, and kills it or sells it, he shall repay five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep. If a thief is found breaking in and is struck so that he dies, there shall be no bloodguilt for him (Exodus 22:1-2)
Follow only good counsel because that is will of God for you. That way you won’t be liable for eternal damnation nor fear any punishment on earth for your bad actions.
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.” (1 Corinthians 15:33)
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. (James 3:17)
Surely none who wait for You will be put to shame; but those who are faithless without cause will be disgraced. (Psalm 25:3)
I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. (Psalm 27:13-14)
Wait for the LORD and keep His way, and He will raise you up to inherit the land. When the wicked are cut off, you will see it. (Psalm 37:34)
I waited patiently for the LORD; He inclined to me and heard my cry. (Psalm 40:1)
Rest in God alone, O my soul, for my hope comes from Him. (Psalm 62:5)
I wait for the LORD; my soul does wait, and in His word I put my hope. (Psalm 130:5)
Do not say, “I will avenge this evil!” Wait on the LORD, and He will deliver you. (Proverbs 20:22)
And in that day it will be said, “Surely this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He has saved us. This is the LORD for whom we have waited. Let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation.” (Isaiah 25:9)
For the vision awaits an appointed time; it testifies of the end, and will not lie. Though it lingers, wait for it, since it will surely come and not delay. (Habakkuk 2:3)
Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, and the word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. And the Lord called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” Then Eli perceived that the Lord was calling the boy. Therefore Eli said to Samuel, “Go, lie down; and if he calls you, you shall say, ‘Speak, Lord, for thy servant hears.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
And the Lord came and stood forth, calling as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel said, “Speak, for thy servant hears.” Then the Lord said to Samuel, “Behold, I am about to do a thing in Israel, at which the two ears of every one that hears it will tingle. (1 Samuel 3:7-11)
The great man of God, the prophet Samuel had his calling from God. O how many times God called him? O what if Samuel would have not taken help of Eli to understand God’s calling? O if Samuel would have never responded to God’s calling? Then God’s will for Israel by the prophet Samuel would have been affected. What a shame to lose God’s calling.
Be humble to enough to ask help of those serving the Lord God, to understand God’s will for you. Never feel to small to still yourself and keep away from the chaos of the world, to hear God’s voice. And when you finally come to know God’s for yourself, do not even hesitate to do it, fair and square. All for the glory of God!
I keep hearing and seeing the news all around the world. Some places there have been earth quakes, some bush fires while now of this writing, the Corona Virus (Covid-19) has been causing devastation and death wherever it can. While the danger is real, you don’t need to live in fear. Firstly put your trust in God who can deliver you from evil. And then continue with prayer and thanksgiving unto the Lord Jesus. Obviously, you are to also take due precautions and not deliberately land yourself in trouble.
Fear leads to worry and worrying won’t help you
“Do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?” ~ Luke 12:22-26
“He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” ~ Mark 4:39-40
Fear makes the problem seem more than what it is
By being fearful you don’t end up getting your problems solved. Not a bit. You need to focus on the right steps to help yourself. Remind yourself that you are loved by God and he will be there for you in the hardest of times, if you only believe in him.
“I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.” ~ Psalm 34:4
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.” ~ Romans 8:38-39
Fear of man (or woman) only keeps you down in life
Fear no man nor woman because it is not worth it. Such fear is a trap. People lose a lot of things, even their souls due to this, because they keep confirming to the sinister schemes of the sinful world. Reject this fear of man (or woman) and be a true believer in God.
The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe. (Proverbs 29:25)
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. (Matthew 10:28)
Fear can keep you away from the Will of God
Beware of fear, because it can keep you away from the Will of God. Be strong and courageous for the Lord God and reject any fear of people and society when it comes to doing all the good things God has planned for you.
Then David said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous and do it. Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed, for the Lord God, even my God, is with you. He will not leave you or forsake you, until all the work for the service of the house of the Lord is finished. (1 Chronicles 28:20)
For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” (Romans 8:15)
Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)
I pray that you are able to make a decision to live without fear for the sake of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God be with you!
O believer in God, worrying over worldly things is the last thing you ever need to be doing. The world worries over the things of the world and gets into panic and despair. Be not like them, for they are sheep in need of the Good Shepherd. But you are already in the care of the One True Shepherd Jesus Christ. So put your trust in Jesus, instead of banking on your worries.
Jesus said to His disciples in Matthew 6:25-34 the following words about dealing with worry:
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Meditate on the words of Jesus about worry. And you will by faith be able to overcome worry. Act on the words of Jesus, so that you receive true peace!
When times have been tough and there seems to be no cure to what ails our world, let’s turn to the Lord God the Creator of the Word for refuge and relief. Let’s not put our trust in vain people who will only test their solutions with us but don’t take accountability for the consequences. We need to trust and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of the Living God, to deliver us from all evil, now and forever.
(Even if you end up reading this anytime in 2021, maybe you were stuck with work or partying, remember that this is God’s gentle reminder for you; to ask for grace and mercy in the name of Jesus, that your life be secured and holy.)
Please do note that unless you desire that the Lord God guards and defends you as you praise His Holy Name, don’t expect that He rebuilds your life nor make the future to be hopeful. You need to believe that God exists and that He can and will defeat all the power of darkness, if only you ask in faith right now. This is a time to reflect and pray for a better year ahead in 2021. For this we can read the below verses:
Unless the Lord builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep. (Psalm 127:1-2)
No wisdom, no understanding, no counsel,
can avail against the Lord.
The horse is made ready for the day of battle,
but the victory belongs to the Lord. (Proverbs 21:30-31)
Now for the prayer points for the year 2021, I’ve broken them up into five basic categories as mentioned below. Pray each of them as applicable to your own need. Faith in Jesus Christ is the key to a victorious 2021, keep this in mind as you pray them out. Also ask the Holy Spirit to intercede for you as you pray, so that you remember any special thing that you need to pray for this year and do not miss it. Here are the prayer points:
Personal prayer points
- O Lord I pray that I get more opportunities to love and serve you all through the year 2021.
- Keep me and my loved ones safe from all sickness, dangers and terrors, and calamities by your grace. Let not the enemy prevail against me in any way.
- Protect my health, intellect, memory, and finances O Saviour of the world. Remove all debt and financial liabilities out of my life. Help me to make the right decisions about the way I work and spend my money.
- Bless my family, friends, and loved ones with safety in spirit and in body too.
- Let all demonic influences be exposed and removed from my life and from my loved ones, in the name of Jesus. Amen.
- Open my eyes to take every day fruitfully by reading and believing in your Holy Word.
- Help me by your Holy Spirit to put my hope neither in any man nor woman but only in Christ Jesus the Lord.
- I pray that I keep getting wisdom from above to help me walk wisely and in the light of Jesus Christ.
- Bless me with gratitude as my attitude so that I don’t fall into pride and vanity. Amen.
National prayer points
- I ask for forgiveness and healing for my nation in which I live and which you have ordained me to be in O God.
- I pray that all evil leaders and corrupt officials are booted out of their seats and positions of power. I also desire that these bad ones are not let loose again to carry out their evil plans against anyone.
- Please instead of them give us real and true leaders that seek only the welfare of the nation.
- In the name of Jesus I pray that there be no earthquakes, no sickness, no tsunamis, no snow nor sand storms nor forest fires for every area I pray for in this nation (try to think which place needs which sort of safety).
- I pray that the borders of my nation are secure and all traitors are stopped from carrying out their evil deeds.
- I ask that there comes no civil war in this nation nor is there any infringement of the rights of the people in the name of false peace and false safety by the government.
- Grant that those who plot against my fellow Christians and true Jews in my nations are only met with failure in their evil schemes. Amen.
International prayer points
- I pray for peace in every nation where there is war that the killings and violence cease.
- That children are no longer harmed in places such as South East Asia, Uganda, Nigeria, Iraq, Syria, North Korea and Afghanistan etc.
- That the laws of the nations are not twisted to enable the people to transgress the will of God in areas of marriage, relationships, finances, genetics etc.
- That there is true peace in Israel and all of Jerusalem.
- That there be an escape for the people of various nations from sickness, natural calamities, and financial ruin.
- May the weapons and bombs of the terror groups fail in abundance where they plot against innocent people. I ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Local church prayer points
- I pray that the local church finds true rest in Christ the Lord.
- That there is no racial nor ethnic discrimination in church.
- That the churchgoers both offline and online, desire to pray everyday and read the Bible everyday.
- That the people of the church worship God with eagerness and thanksgiving.
- That there is only the right understanding of the Holy Scriptures at church.
- I ask in faith that my local church is protected by the grace of God from all enemies visible and invisible.
- That my local church is kept safe against all heresies and worldly lies..
- I pray for the elders and leaders and preachers of the local church, that they be true to divine calling in serving the people of God in Christ-like humility and courage. I ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Worldwide church prayer points
- I pray that all resistance to the authority of Jesus Christ is met with failure by his enemies who might pose as true believers but are in reality fake ones.
- That the church of the Lord Jesus Christ continues to have faith among its various members even if this is an age where people become apostates.
- That all denominational fights are settled in a peaceful way without compromising on the true Gospel teaching.
- That all false Christian unity movements and related organizations are exposed and their plans are sabotaged by the people of God and the angels of God.
- That the Gospel is preached to every nation on Earth in accordance with the will of God.
- That signs and wonders of the Lord by the Holy Spirit pave way for the preaching of the Gospel and healing of the nations.
- I ask for the safety of missionaries and even the general Christians in areas where the persecution against those who believe in Christ is dangerous and tyrannical.
- I pray that in regions where Christians are in majority, that they are not lax in keeping the faith nor are they stuck in worthless pursuits of worldly passions. May their eyes open to the truth and not be fascinated by the darkness of the world. O Lord, cause the preachers to preach to the people over there without diluting the Word of God. Amen.
I wish you a blessed and prosperous New Year in the Lord Jesus Christ. May the joy of the Lord be your strength. I pray to God that the Enemy of your soul is not able to outwit you. I also pray that you cling always to the Word of God in all that you say, think, or do. Amen.
Jesus Christ be with you, this entire year 2021 and forever!
The cares of the world can be many or less,
But the name of the Lord we are to bless.
For such cares can overwhelm,
So follow the wisdom of God’s realm.
There are many who get choked,
Because Jesus’ help they haven’t invoked.
Had they asked the Lord’s grace,
His victory would glow upon their face.
Jesus is the Good Shepherd and the Rock,
And he hears the cry of his flock.
So don’t bear your burdens alone,
But seek help from God on his throne.
Don’t let your mind go weak,
Nor in any depression be asleep.
But surrender all your worries and cares,
Unto Christ Jesus in your prayers.
Let your life be holy and dignified,
And always keep the flesh crucified.
The flesh has desires evil and profane,
So from such things you refrain.
Cut off from yourself all deceit,
Lest you suffer eternal defeat.
For many avoid the path that is narrow,
Stiff necked to the end like Pharaoh.
Crucify your flesh which yearns to sin,
So in righteousness you really win.
Remain pleasing always to the Spirit of God,
By each moment giving to the Gospel your nod.
Put to death all sinful passions,
Keep out from all insidious fashions.
For a child of the light must be pure,
And forever in God’s will must endure.
Don’t stay down in life,
Nor let laziness get rife.
Like Gideon get all ready,
On God’s Word be steady.
Win that victory first in your heart,
So that towards God’s plan you start.
Don’t fear the future, present nor the past,
But all this unto the Lord you cast.
Be willing to conquer all strongholds,
As God’s will for your life unfolds.
Rescue those weak in faith,
From each insidious scathe.
Rise against sin by true repentance,
Let faith be filled in each sentence.
Be of good cheer and good hope,
And with Christ all challenges cope.