Category Archives: Practical living
I keep hearing and seeing the news all around the world. Some places there have been earth quakes, some bush fires while now of this writing, the Corona Virus (Covid-19) has been causing devastation and death wherever it can. While the danger is real, you don’t need to live in fear. Firstly put your trust in God who can deliver you from evil. And then continue with prayer and thanksgiving unto the Lord Jesus. Obviously, you are to also take due precautions and not deliberately land yourself in trouble.
Fear leads to worry and worrying won’t help you
“Do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?” ~ Luke 12:22-26
“He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” ~ Mark 4:39-40
Fear makes the problem seem more than what it is
By being fearful you don’t end up getting your problems solved. Not a bit. You need to focus on the right steps to help yourself. Remind yourself that you are loved by God and he will be there for you in the hardest of times, if you only believe in him.
“I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears.” ~ Psalm 34:4
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.” ~ Romans 8:38-39
Fear of man (or woman) only keeps you down in life
Fear no man nor woman because it is not worth it. Such fear is a trap. People lose a lot of things, even their souls due to this, because they keep confirming to the sinister schemes of the sinful world. Reject this fear of man (or woman) and be a true believer in God.
The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe. (Proverbs 29:25)
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. (Matthew 10:28)
Fear can keep you away from the Will of God
Beware of fear, because it can keep you away from the Will of God. Be strong and courageous for the Lord God and reject any fear of people and society when it comes to doing all the good things God has planned for you.
Then David said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous and do it. Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed, for the Lord God, even my God, is with you. He will not leave you or forsake you, until all the work for the service of the house of the Lord is finished. (1 Chronicles 28:20)
For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” (Romans 8:15)
Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)
I pray that you are able to make a decision to live without fear for the sake of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. God be with you!
O believer in God, worrying over worldly things is the last thing you ever need to be doing. The world worries over the things of the world and gets into panic and despair. Be not like them, for they are sheep in need of the Good Shepherd. But you are already in the care of the One True Shepherd Jesus Christ. So put your trust in Jesus, instead of banking on your worries.
Jesus said to His disciples in Matthew 6:25-34 the following words about dealing with worry:
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Meditate on the words of Jesus about worry. And you will by faith be able to overcome worry. Act on the words of Jesus, so that you receive true peace!
When times have been tough and there seems to be no cure to what ails our world, let’s turn to the Lord God the Creator of the Word for refuge and relief. Let’s not put our trust in vain people who will only test their solutions with us but don’t take accountability for the consequences. We need to trust and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of the Living God, to deliver us from all evil, now and forever.
(Even if you end up reading this anytime in 2021, maybe you were stuck with work or partying, remember that this is God’s gentle reminder for you; to ask for grace and mercy in the name of Jesus, that your life be secured and holy.)
Please do note that unless you desire that the Lord God guards and defends you as you praise His Holy Name, don’t expect that He rebuilds your life nor make the future to be hopeful. You need to believe that God exists and that He can and will defeat all the power of darkness, if only you ask in faith right now. This is a time to reflect and pray for a better year ahead in 2021. For this we can read the below verses:
Unless the Lord builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep. (Psalm 127:1-2)
No wisdom, no understanding, no counsel,
can avail against the Lord.
The horse is made ready for the day of battle,
but the victory belongs to the Lord. (Proverbs 21:30-31)
Now for the prayer points for the year 2021, I’ve broken them up into five basic categories as mentioned below. Pray each of them as applicable to your own need. Faith in Jesus Christ is the key to a victorious 2021, keep this in mind as you pray them out. Also ask the Holy Spirit to intercede for you as you pray, so that you remember any special thing that you need to pray for this year and do not miss it. Here are the prayer points:
Personal prayer points
- O Lord I pray that I get more opportunities to love and serve you all through the year 2021.
- Keep me and my loved ones safe from all sickness, dangers and terrors, and calamities by your grace. Let not the enemy prevail against me in any way.
- Protect my health, intellect, memory, and finances O Saviour of the world. Remove all debt and financial liabilities out of my life. Help me to make the right decisions about the way I work and spend my money.
- Bless my family, friends, and loved ones with safety in spirit and in body too.
- Let all demonic influences be exposed and removed from my life and from my loved ones, in the name of Jesus. Amen.
- Open my eyes to take every day fruitfully by reading and believing in your Holy Word.
- Help me by your Holy Spirit to put my hope neither in any man nor woman but only in Christ Jesus the Lord.
- I pray that I keep getting wisdom from above to help me walk wisely and in the light of Jesus Christ.
- Bless me with gratitude as my attitude so that I don’t fall into pride and vanity. Amen.
National prayer points
- I ask for forgiveness and healing for my nation in which I live and which you have ordained me to be in O God.
- I pray that all evil leaders and corrupt officials are booted out of their seats and positions of power. I also desire that these bad ones are not let loose again to carry out their evil plans against anyone.
- Please instead of them give us real and true leaders that seek only the welfare of the nation.
- In the name of Jesus I pray that there be no earthquakes, no sickness, no tsunamis, no snow nor sand storms nor forest fires for every area I pray for in this nation (try to think which place needs which sort of safety).
- I pray that the borders of my nation are secure and all traitors are stopped from carrying out their evil deeds.
- I ask that there comes no civil war in this nation nor is there any infringement of the rights of the people in the name of false peace and false safety by the government.
- Grant that those who plot against my fellow Christians and true Jews in my nations are only met with failure in their evil schemes. Amen.
International prayer points
- I pray for peace in every nation where there is war that the killings and violence cease.
- That children are no longer harmed in places such as South East Asia, Uganda, Nigeria, Iraq, Syria, North Korea and Afghanistan etc.
- That the laws of the nations are not twisted to enable the people to transgress the will of God in areas of marriage, relationships, finances, genetics etc.
- That there is true peace in Israel and all of Jerusalem.
- That there be an escape for the people of various nations from sickness, natural calamities, and financial ruin.
- May the weapons and bombs of the terror groups fail in abundance where they plot against innocent people. I ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Local church prayer points
- I pray that the local church finds true rest in Christ the Lord.
- That there is no racial nor ethnic discrimination in church.
- That the churchgoers both offline and online, desire to pray everyday and read the Bible everyday.
- That the people of the church worship God with eagerness and thanksgiving.
- That there is only the right understanding of the Holy Scriptures at church.
- I ask in faith that my local church is protected by the grace of God from all enemies visible and invisible.
- That my local church is kept safe against all heresies and worldly lies..
- I pray for the elders and leaders and preachers of the local church, that they be true to divine calling in serving the people of God in Christ-like humility and courage. I ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Worldwide church prayer points
- I pray that all resistance to the authority of Jesus Christ is met with failure by his enemies who might pose as true believers but are in reality fake ones.
- That the church of the Lord Jesus Christ continues to have faith among its various members even if this is an age where people become apostates.
- That all denominational fights are settled in a peaceful way without compromising on the true Gospel teaching.
- That all false Christian unity movements and related organizations are exposed and their plans are sabotaged by the people of God and the angels of God.
- That the Gospel is preached to every nation on Earth in accordance with the will of God.
- That signs and wonders of the Lord by the Holy Spirit pave way for the preaching of the Gospel and healing of the nations.
- I ask for the safety of missionaries and even the general Christians in areas where the persecution against those who believe in Christ is dangerous and tyrannical.
- I pray that in regions where Christians are in majority, that they are not lax in keeping the faith nor are they stuck in worthless pursuits of worldly passions. May their eyes open to the truth and not be fascinated by the darkness of the world. O Lord, cause the preachers to preach to the people over there without diluting the Word of God. Amen.
I wish you a blessed and prosperous New Year in the Lord Jesus Christ. May the joy of the Lord be your strength. I pray to God that the Enemy of your soul is not able to outwit you. I also pray that you cling always to the Word of God in all that you say, think, or do. Amen.
Jesus Christ be with you, this entire year 2021 and forever!
The cares of the world can be many or less,
But the name of the Lord we are to bless.
For such cares can overwhelm,
So follow the wisdom of God’s realm.
There are many who get choked,
Because Jesus’ help they haven’t invoked.
Had they asked the Lord’s grace,
His victory would glow upon their face.
Jesus is the Good Shepherd and the Rock,
And he hears the cry of his flock.
So don’t bear your burdens alone,
But seek help from God on his throne.
Don’t let your mind go weak,
Nor in any depression be asleep.
But surrender all your worries and cares,
Unto Christ Jesus in your prayers.
Let your life be holy and dignified,
And always keep the flesh crucified.
The flesh has desires evil and profane,
So from such things you refrain.
Cut off from yourself all deceit,
Lest you suffer eternal defeat.
For many avoid the path that is narrow,
Stiff necked to the end like Pharaoh.
Crucify your flesh which yearns to sin,
So in righteousness you really win.
Remain pleasing always to the Spirit of God,
By each moment giving to the Gospel your nod.
Put to death all sinful passions,
Keep out from all insidious fashions.
For a child of the light must be pure,
And forever in God’s will must endure.
Don’t stay down in life,
Nor let laziness get rife.
Like Gideon get all ready,
On God’s Word be steady.
Win that victory first in your heart,
So that towards God’s plan you start.
Don’t fear the future, present nor the past,
But all this unto the Lord you cast.
Be willing to conquer all strongholds,
As God’s will for your life unfolds.
Rescue those weak in faith,
From each insidious scathe.
Rise against sin by true repentance,
Let faith be filled in each sentence.
Be of good cheer and good hope,
And with Christ all challenges cope.
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If any one loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world passes away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides for ever. (1 John 2:15-17)
O reader, just so that this benefits you, let me first clarify what do I mean by social media and what do I mean by impiousness. Here we go:
1) Social media : forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos) – as per Merriam-webster.com
2) Impious : not pious or lacking in reverence or proper respect (as for God or one’s parents) – as per Merriam-webster.com
There are people in social media who are totally impious towards God and the church and also are against everything good and decent in the world. Let me mention how it goes:
About the impious social media against God
These are mockers and scoffers who blatantly mock God in their social media posts. They will speak lie after lie against the Almighty and don’t even care what they speak as long it serves their sinister agenda. Some of them directly blaspheme against the Holy Spirit. Please note that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, so beware of it! (I have already mentioned this in full detail and if you are not aware of why then please click here to know more and then come back to reading this post.) Such sinners are going to have to answer the Lord God at the Final Judgement whether they like it or not. It’s better for them that they repent and give God the glory that is due to Him according to the Word of God, than suffer in the afterlife.
About the impious social media against God’s people
Then we have those impious social media users who will troll every Christian social media they can lay their hands on. These use the most vile and cruel language against those who believe in Christ Jesus. I remember one man was bullying a young girl (a minor) because of her faith in Jesus on a Social media platform and directly told her to commit suicide. I interfered into this conversation and asked that man to cease and desist before I report him to the authorities. I later asked that girl to inform her parents or guardians about such people with malicious intent. If people are filled with hate, they better not debate! Remember posting death threats to anyone is a punishable offense in most countries, so such people better sober up before they land up in prison, which is just a precursor to their final prison in the afterlife.
About the impious social media against everything good and decent
Also, there are those who will mock everything good and decent on this planet. They are unhappy with anyone’s birthday, wedding or any other celebration and will go out of their way to insult them. So make shameless jokes about other people to attack their race, religion, class, finances etc. These are so envious of any other person’s happiness that they go out of their way to spoil that person’s name or reputation. While others will present so and so people as of low moral standards or vulgar that their victims lose their good standing in society, even to the point of divorce and suicide. Such defamation too is punishable in most countries with large fines and imprisonment as well. Need I even speak how bad the afterlife would be for such scoffers and mockers?
What does the Bible speak about impious people of such kind?
The Bible has already mentioned about scoffers in the last days who follow their own ungodly passions. We now can see that they keep manifesting themselves in various ways, one of the most prominent being social media. Anyways unless they repent there is eternal judgment reserved for them:-
First of all you must understand this, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own passions and saying, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things have continued as they were from the beginning of creation.” They deliberately ignore this fact, that by the word of God heavens existed long ago, and an earth formed out of water and by means of water, through which the world that then existed was deluged with water and perished. But by the same word the heavens and earth that now exist have been stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. (2 Peter 3:3-7)
A fool’s words bring strife, and his mouth invites fighting. A fool’s mouth is his unraveling, and his lips entrap himself. (Proverbs 18:6-7)
But you must remember, beloved, the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; they said to you, “In the last time there will be scoffers, following their own ungodly passions.” It is these who set up divisions, worldly people, devoid of the Spirit. (1 Jude 1:17-19)
What should be the Christian response to all the things going on?
Keeping on walking with Jesus Christ is the most important thing. If you can encourage one and other in the Lord it would really be helpful.
But you, beloved, build yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit; keep yourselves in the love of God; wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. And convince some, who doubt; save some, by snatching them out of the fire; on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. (Jude 1:17-23)
Therefore encourage and build one another up, just as you are already doing (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
What about the Kingdom of God that’s been the target of impious social media?
The Kingdom of God doesn’t have to fear such vile people who try to malign it on social media. Because the Kingdom of God is for ever!
And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, nor shall the kingdom be left to another people. It shall break in pieces all these kingdoms and bring them to an end, and it shall stand forever (Daniel 2:44)
Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever.” (Revelation 11:15)
No wise person would want friends who always are selfish. Do take note that a selfish person can cause harm to anyone especially friends and family, in his or her vain pursuits for self-gratification. This harm can be financial losses, loss of reputation, and even loss of life to name a few. Would you still want to be friends with such friends who are selfish?
If you don’t want a selfish friend, it’s only fair to ask of you to never ever be selfish yourself. If you are not selfish it doesn’t mean that you to be self-harming nor self-deceiving. In fact, you’re better poised to help your friends and family. You can progress in life by being a blessing to others and yes it’s totally possible. So, if you choose to never be selfish and simply follow the Word of God you will be found truly worthy in this life and in the afterlife.
Verses for reflection:
- Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful. (1 Corinthians 13:4-5)
- Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)
- Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor. (1 Corinthians 10:24)
- For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. (James 3:16)
- Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered. (Proverbs 11:25)
- Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. (Romans 15:2)
- A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. (Proverbs 18:2)
- The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these. (Mark 12:31)
- Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. (1 Corinthians 3:18)
- Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain! (Psalm 119:36)
- But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. (Acts 20:24)
- I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
- And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” (Mark 8:34)
In the age of deception and chaos, please take time to pray and meditate on these Bible verses for protection from evildoers which I have listed below from the Psalms. Pray without any doubt nor guile and see the difference:
Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings, from the wicked who do me violence, my deadly enemies who surround me. (Psalm 17:8-9)
Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; protect me from those who rise up against me; deliver me from those who work evil, and save me from bloodthirsty men. (Psalm 59:1-2)
But you, O Lord, laugh at them; you hold all the nations in derision. O my Strength, I will watch for you, for you, O God, are my fortress.
My God in his steadfast love[c] will meet me; God will let me look in triumph on my enemies. (Psalm 59:8-10)
Hear my voice, O God, in my complaint; preserve my life from dread of the enemy. Hide me from the secret plots of the wicked, from the throng of evildoers, who whet their tongues like swords, who aim bitter words like arrows, shooting from ambush at the blameless, shooting at him suddenly and without fear. (Psalm 64:2-3)
Answer me quickly, O Lord! My spirit fails! Hide not your face from me, lest I be like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord! I have fled to you for refuge. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground! (Psalm 134:7-10)
For your name’s sake, O Lord, preserve my life! In your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble! And in your steadfast love you will cut off my enemies, and you will destroy all the adversaries of my soul, for I am your servant. (Psalm 134:11-12)