Category Archives: Reflections
I wish you all my readers a very happy new year 2020. May the good Lord bless you and your family as grow in his Word.
Love yourself because it is good,
Because it’s God’s command so you should.
You’re to love your neighbor as yourself,
So don’t keep this off your choice shelf.
Those for themselves don’t even care,
Will find loving others a heavy burden to bear.
Ones who are careless about their own soul,
Might find it difficult to others console.
Now being proud and selfish is indeed a sin,
So purity and genuineness of heart is where you begin.
Act just, think wisely and eat clean,
That your good works to God be seen.
- For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay. (Habakkuk 2:3)
- But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31)
- For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven (Ecclesiastes 3:1)
- Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! (Psalm 27:14)
- For there is a time and a way for everything, although man’s trouble lies heavy on him. (Ecclesiastes 8:6)
- And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:9)
- David therefore inquired of God for the child; and David fasted and went and lay all night on the ground. (2 Samuel 12:16)
- When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches (Psalm 63:6)
- My eyes anticipate the night watches, That I may meditate on Your word.(Psalm 119:148)
- O LORD, I remember Your name in the night, And keep Your law. (Psalm 119:55)
- At midnight I shall rise to give thanks to You Because of Your righteous ordinances. (Psalm 119:62)
- But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them (Acts 16:25)
Work hard for the Lord and be sincere,
Hold God’s Word in your heart without fear.
May your faith in Christ never cease,
For by that the Lord you will please.
Don’t worry about the world’s derision,
But trust wholly in God’s provision.
The world and its lust will be judged,
For its thoughts and deeds are smudged.
Be kind in words, thoughts and actions,
For heaven takes notes of your transactions.
Pray and intercede for those afflicted,
For those in darkness and the wrongly convicted.
And faithfully you the Gospel preach,
To each you find in your reach.
That they may believe and be saved,
So no longer they in sin remain enslaved.
Work because you love the Lord and the needy,
Don’t be slow when you need to be speedy.
For the harvest is plenty but the labourers are few,
So pray for more labourers both Gentile and Jew.
Why are we doing good works? Is it because we are workaholics? Is it because we have things to prove to our fellow Christian brothers and sisters? Or is because we do good works, because it makes God happy?
Sometimes in life we all need to step back and take a good look at the bigger picture. What’s the big picture for those who believe in Jesus Christ? Its simply this, am I spending time loving the Lord God instead of only being bothered about good works?
Here a lesson from the Gospel about Mary and Martha:
38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word. 40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. 41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: 42 but one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. (Luke 10:38-42)
Do take note in the above verses in which Martha was doing good works in serving Jesus but her sister Mary (also these both were the sisters of Lazarus whom Jesus raised from the dead) was paying more attention to Jesus and listening to His Word. Martha had every reason to complain about Mary not helping her serving Jesus. However Jesus didn’t condemn Mary not Martha on this. But he showed Martha that she needed to get her priorities right towards the Lord. What could be this priority? Its that spending time with the Lord God with his Holy Word matters much more than doing good works serving the same Lord God. Don’t get me wrong, but Jesus never told Martha that the service she was doing was a sin or evil but rather he let her know not to get troubled in doing so much good that she forgets to wait on Him.
Verses to reflect on:
- Seek the LORD while you can find him. Call on him now while he is near. (Isaiah 55:6)
- Let all the world look to me for salvation! For I am God; there is no other. (Isaiah 45:22)
- But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Matthew 6:33)