Prayer points for Uganda (2016)
Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy. (Proverbs 31:8-9)
There are people in the world who are as good as mute, because the world doesn’t care much for them. The world at times speaks but only in bits and pieces. So, these suffer for many years with no respite. We are to speak up for such people. We are to pray for such people. And so, it’s time to bring to your mind the nation of Uganda in Africa in this regard. Formerly a British Protectorate and then ruled by its own resident dictator Idi Amin after it’s independence, things have kept going wrong for this nation.
Filled with corruption and violence, this place is not recommended for travel by the UK (click here for the warning). And the U.S. goverment warning is more direct : “The U.S. government rates Uganda as high threat for terrorism. The potential for terrorist activity from extremist organizations such as al-Shabaab exists in Uganda and the region. Uganda contributes troops to the African Union Mission in Somalia and al-Shabaab has consistently threatened attacks inside Uganda in retaliation. U.S. citizens are routinely advised to avoid high-density public gatherings. U.S. citizens travelling to the Karamoja region in northeastern Uganda should be aware of ongoing conflict and armed banditry in this region.” (click here for the source)
There been instances of ethnic cleansing, human trafficking and slavery in Uganda by various groups such as the Lord’s Resistance Army and even there are allegations that the government soldiers also do the same. Ethnic cleansing for those who don’t know, means the murder of large groups of people having similar ethnic background or orientation.
This could also be called as genocide in Uganda
Even more scary are the reports of cannibalism in Uganda. Crazy as it sounds, there is no law prohibiting cannibalism (eating of human flesh) in Uganda.
The International community is more concerned with immoral choices being available in Uganda instead of curbing the violence over there. That’s a recipe for disaster on the moral front.
Uganda profile – Timeline (via BBC)
Here are the prayer points that you can pray for Uganda though you can also add in whatever the Holy Spirit brings to your mind when praying:
- Pray that there is regard for human life in Uganda.
- That cannibalism is kicked out of Uganda.
- That sexual immorality is not condoned in Uganda and it is corrected ethically and humanely.
- Pray that the counterfeit movement and organization knows as the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) is totally purged out from Uganda. Also that those innocent men, women and children held captive illegally by the LRA are exposed.
- Pray for the immediate capture of the LRA’s vile leaders especially Joseph Kony.
- Pray for those who were maimed and disfigured by the LRA. Also for those sexually abused by the LRA. That they are healed in body, mind and spirit.
- Pray for those children who are brainwashed into murdering others by the LRA. That no more kids keep getting into the hate cult and other such kids keep getting rescued. Pray for the overall innocence and safety of the children of Uganda.
- Pray that all other cults and hate movements and terror groups such as the al-Shabaab experience failure and the people of God keep winning against them.
- Pray that all forms of human trafficking are strongly stopped by the government and police at all levels.
- Pray that Uganda People’s Defence Force’s which is their standing army acts ethically even as they try to protect their nation and surrounding nations who too are affected by the LRA and other insurgent groups. Pray that every instance of war crimes is not allowed in the Uganda People’s Defence Force and everyone negatively affected by them is given justice against those who harmed them.
- Pray that the corruption in Uganda is reduced and removed systematically from all of the nation at every level government and judiciary as well.
- Pray that the preachers in Uganda only preach the true Gospel and do not fall prey to faulty human traditions which are incorrectly given status as the Bible.
- Pray that the Ugandan Christians experience the peace that comes from Jesus Christ.
- Pray for unity and peace among Christians of various denominations in Uganda.
- Pray that strongholds of false traditions which try to undermine the Christian faith are exposed and defeated in Uganda
- That all of Uganda’s infrastructure is kept safe and secure.
- Pray that there is no misuse of the nation’s resources by any form of corruption in the government, military etc in Uganda
- Pray for good, moral and effective leaders for Uganda.
- Pray that only the correct nations send help in terms of food, medicines, humanitarian and military aid. Also, that those countries which are over zealously neutral towards the atrocities and corruption being carried out in Uganda are woken up from their sleep and made to act in the right manner.
Pray to God in good times too
It’s good to pray to God in desperate times. And it’s even better to remain prayerful in good times as well. Do not forget the Lord Jesus who gives you salvation and grace.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. (Psalm 103:2-5)
The Israelites of the times of Moses, were in clear terms told not to forget the Lord God who saved them from slavery from the Egyptians and were later going to receive prosperity for themselves. It was desired that they continue to give honor and praise to Lord God and not to any false god.
“And when the Lord your God brings you into the land that he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give you—with great and good cities that you did not build, and houses full of all good things that you did not fill, and cisterns that you did not dig, and vineyards and olive trees that you did not plant—and when you eat and are full, then take care lest you forget the Lord, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. It is the Lord your God you shall fear. Him you shall serve and by his name you shall swear. You shall not go after other gods, the gods of the peoples who are around you— for the Lord your God in your midst is a jealous God—lest the anger of the Lord your God be kindled against you, and he destroy you from off the face of the earth. (Deuteronomy 6:10-15)
Yet the people of Israel were so engrossed in material prosperity that most of them gave up on their prayers to the Lord God and didn’t worship him in truth. Rather they went on to worship false gods instead. This then provoked God so greatly, especially since they rejected his prophets and sometimes even killed them, that he allowed various nations to overcome the Jews in battle and cause great devastation. The damage was profoundly grave, as lots of Israelites lost their lives, the survivors were put into captivity in foreign lands and only the poorest of the poor were left in Israel.
Do not fall into such sin. Or let in other words don’t make a golden calf of your blessings. The Israelites made Aaron prepare for themselves a golden calf false god with the gold which the Lord God had provided for them on their way out of slavery in the land of Egypt. Instead of giving credit to the Lord God, they gave credit to a worthless idol. This provoked God so greatly that unless Moses the prophet and leader of Jews made intercession for them, they wouldn’t go unpunished as a nation. (On a side note, how many of us ask God to have mercy on our own nation or do we just want fire fall down from heaven?)
You can express your gratitude to Christ in times of prosperity by praying and thanking him for all the benefits that you have received through him. Praise him freely and with deep respect.
Thank him for your salvation, the forgiveness of your sin, your reconciliation with God the Father. In truth even in the worst of times, there’s always these spiritual blessings that you can be ever thankful to God. So in better times, you have all the more reason to pray to God.
Do not limit your pray to God to only thankfulness but even desire to remain in God’s will. Ask him to lead you and guide you by the Holy Spirit in righteousness and truth. Never get deceived by the sight of riches and luxury that you forget the counsel of God and then go on to sin. Instead pray that you are sanctified by the grace of God, in your body, soul and spirit.
But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. (1 Timothy 6:6-11)
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you. (1 Thessalonians 4:3-8)
You can also bring to your mind especially in good times, that there are lots of people in the world who don’t have their basic needs met. Be generous to the poor and needy. Also, pray for the those who are born into slavery in various parts of the part. It might seem odd but slavery is still rampant in certain nations of the world. Pray that the captives be set free. It’s good that you pray for people so that they repent from their sins and believe in the Gospel. Pray that those in life who are suffering from various diseases, family problems and financial problems receive respite from trouble and be delivered from their sorrows. By all this make good use of your prosperity to pray to God so that he is glorified in your praise and that people receive hope in life.
The Story Behind the song Amazing Grace
Here is the story behind a great Christian hymn “Amazing Grace”. This song was written by none other than John Newton himself. You might have not heard this before but John Newton was a slave trader. In fact he too was captured and kept as a slave in Sierra Leone. Though he got out of it, he was not thankful to God and often blasphemed against the Lord. Yet in the day of trouble, when in danger of drowning with his ship at sea, he called upon the Lord Jesus and got saved. Not just his body but even his soul got saved as he truly gave up wicked ways and accepted the Gospel. Later in his life he went on to be an ordained church minister and even tried to abolish slave trade. Do watch the video and be blessed.
Here is the original version of Amazing Grace:
On a side note, do pray for the conversion of wretched sinners, even those who enslave others. Pray that all slaves are saved from their bondage wherever they are in the world.
Christ be with you and God bless you!