Any Christian can take note that the Bible never tells us to avoid medication nor does it say to avoid doctors. In fact Jesus himself confirmed that the doctors (physicians) are important for the recovery of those who are unwell. Please refer to the following verses:
- And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. (Luke 5:31)
- On hearing this, Jesus told them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” (Mark 2:17)
Most doctors in their treatment of those who are ill, often prescribe medicines to them. So its Biblical to get to the doctor if you are unwell and then have medicines.
The Lord has caused medicines to exist and be discovered. So sensible one’s won’t despise them but have them as per their needs. Even the world after Judgement Day the Tree of Life will be used for healing the people.
In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. (Revelations 22:2)
Don’t bother to have any sort medicine but always look for good medicine. This is where many get dismayed due to choosing the wrong medicine and then start fearing doctors and medicine. Pray for wisdom to know the right medicines to take and also that you get the right diagnosis by your doctor.
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. (Proverbs 17:22)
I remember as per time of the year when most Christian circles celebrate the birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ, there was a man who made an strange request. Yes, an odd one indeed for sure, in my opinion and I’ll let you know why.
We were both where they sell meat and this man kept insisting that the meat be mixed with blood. The shopkeeper asked him the reason for that and the man kept saying that it’s the taste which increases which blood. I was much young and kept giving him a strange look for his order and so did the others there. However he kept insisting to have blood added to the meat and finally had it done his way. But it definitely was not God’s way!
As Christians, we shouldn’t have odd cravings that are inconsistent with the Word of God. This can apply to many things but here the topic is about avoiding animal blood in the food we eat, so I’d rather speak about that. Here are a few Bible verses which clearly forbid having the blood of animals nor of birds for our food:
- But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. (Genesis 9:4)
- For the life of every creature is its blood: its blood is its life. Therefore I have said to the people of Israel, You shall not eat the blood of any creature, for the life of every creature is its blood. Whoever eats it shall be cut off. (Leviticus 17:14)
- “You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it. You shall not interpret omens or tell fortunes.” (Leviticus 19:26)
- Only you shall not eat the blood; you shall pour it out on the earth like water. (Deuteronomy 12:16)
- But should write to them to abstain from the things polluted by idols, and from sexual immorality, and from what has been strangled, and from blood. (Acts 15:20)
- For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements: that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. (Acts 15:28-29)
- So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31)
If you notice from the above verses, avoiding having the blood of any creature for food is mentioned alongside avoiding food sacrificed to idols, avoiding sexual immorality and also avoiding meat of any creature that has been strangled to death. Though I realize that is not taught so often in many churches but the truth remains that having blood for food can and will disqualify oneself from entering heaven or to be more clear it can send oneself to hell.
Since it’s mentioned both in the Old Testament and the New Testament of the Bible, avoiding the blood of animals for food should be very clearly a choice of any one who claims to be a true believer in Jesus Christ. Don’t worry about how to remove the blood. Because many meat shops and markets are very good at clearing out the blood. You can also check out the various online tutorials on how to do it yourself if you have no other option.
One must not rebel against the Word of God and have forbidden food, lest in their unrepentant attitude they walk the broad path that leads to destruction of their spirit. Don’t call anything comfort food, for the comfort from food if any will only be temporary. Instead focus on things eternal.
Christ be with you!