O Lord keep me away from danger,
From things familiar and stranger.
Keep me O Christ from traps hidden,
And the paths where darkness had ridden.
Turn me away from crookedness,
Let me not delight in wickedness.
Make me not desire timid silence,
Nor let me cherish sinister violence.
Cause me O Lord Jesus to be secure,
And also keep my gaze pure.
Let me not be enticed,
By those you have despised.
By your Holy Spirit cause me to have favour,
In the eyes of others when I rest or labour.
That all creatures benign or deadly,
Refrain from harming me, readily.
Let me be hidden from witchcraft’s eyes,
And from evil spirit’s especially one’s in disguise.
Keep me O Lord always in your grace,
That in your presence I find my place.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death. (Proverbs 14:12)
Some young men believe that unless they don’t do drugs they won’t get accepted into their friend circle. This causes them to sin a lot. Doesn’t matter if a man doesn’t have drugs, there are always other people who don’t want drug addicts as their friends. It’s better to have no friends than be stuck in prison for the rest of your lives.
Then there are young girls who are convinced that unless they don’t wear indecent clothes, they won’t be popular in college. But the thing is that in college academics are the main thing and not popularity. In fact you can have zero popularity and still get the best marks.
There are industrialists who will think of lying about their products and the manner in which they are made. These are secretly living in fear about the consequences which includes time in prison and loss of money if it were found that they produced the goods in far away lands in the most inhuman conditions for their workers out there. It’s better to have lesser profits than to risk your reputation.
There are also people who believe that suicide will reduce their pain and finally people will pay attention to them. Just a second after their suicide unfortunately they will not be found in heaven nor in any place where they are valued. Instead they should say no to suicide and live to find the answers to their troubles.
To anyone and everyone reading this, do take every effort to identify any such mindset and thought process which is from the Devil and which doesn’t actually lead to life but death. Don’t hesitate to pray to God to counsel and correct your thought process before damage happens. In fact don’t head to towards eternal life but away from the light of Christ, where there is darkness and weeping and gnashing of teeth. Change any such unhelpful thinking with wise and wholesome thinking for the glory of God
Pray about the suicides in Canada’s Attawapiskat First Nation. This place has seen an abnormal spike in suicide rates. The news headlines (with part of the articles mentioned) confirm this:
First Nations community grappling with suicide crisis: ‘We’re crying out for help’
“Since autumn there have been more than 100 suicide attempts in Attawapiskat, which has a population of just 2,000. The community’s four health workers struggled to keep up, their efforts beset by a lack of training in mental health issues. The youngest person to attempt suicide was 11 years old, the oldest 71. After 11 people tried to take their own lives on Saturday evening, exhausted leaders declared a state of emergency. On Monday, as officials scrambled to send crisis counsellors to the community, 20 people – including a nine-year-old – were taken to hospital after they were overheard making a suicide pact. “We’re crying out for help,” said Attawapiskat chief Bruce Shisheesh. “Just about every night there is a suicide attempt.””
Five more suicide attempts made in Attawapiska
“Canada’s 1.4 million aboriginals have higher levels of poverty and a lower life expectancy than other Canadians. Health Minister Jane Philpott has said the suicide rates among aboriginal youth were at least 10 times higher than for the general population of young people.”
Attawapiskat working on plan to address youth suicide crisis Provincial Minister of Health Dr. Eric Hoskins heads to remote northern Ontario First Nation today
“A former prime minister who dealt with similar issues during his tenure said Tuesday there are no quick fixes. “It’s an extremely difficult problem,” Jean Chretien said. “I was with this problem in 1968, a long time ago. It takes time and patience, and there’s always tragedies of that nature that occur and the government has to do its best to cure it. But it’s not easy.””
After 11 Suicide Attempts In Just One Day, Canadian Community Declares State of Emergency
Just before I could give you a suggested prayer for this serious situation, I would suggest that you actually concentrate on praying. Stop listening to the hate mongers who are playing the race card to benefit from this situation. You should rather have mercy on those families who lost their loves to suicide. There is a real need for the Canadian government to take actions that actually benefit Attawapiskat First Nation and its people, this part you don’t need to ignore. Also don’t bother which ethnic group are these people, just regard them as human as you are and pray for them and their salvation. If you are Canadian, please let your local church preacher know about this and get the people of your church to pray and help this First Nation that is in trouble in whatever way that you can.
I ask in the name of Jesus Christ the Son of Man who offers salvation to all who call on his name on knowing of the Gospel, that peace and life about in Attawapiskat First Nation of Canada. Give them life and life in abundance. I place before you all their sufferings, all their depression and all their misfortunes. Give those who are thinking of suicide the grace to not act wrongly but rather reveal their mind to those who can really care enough to help them. Keep those people safe from greedy corporations and industries. Cause the leaders of Canada to give heed to the cries of the First Nation until their is no more suicide over there. I pray that all those other nations who wish to help the people of Attawapiskat may do so with the right intention, right wisdom and right timing. I also ask that health workers increase and prevail against all the suicide over there. Let your Gospel bring light and life to those in mental agony in Attawapiskat. Send forth your Spirit O Lord God and renew the face of Attawapiskat having mercy upon its inhabitants. Let your grace grow over them all. Amen.
Time and again, through the news media online and in print, I have come to know about the death of a famous actor or actress due to suicide. Let me tell you that nothing is good about it. It’s a bad thing for a person who commits suicide. Because they go to hell and are damned for all eternity. As they have committed murder (against themselves) but didn’t repent of it, so it’s not possible for them to repent once dead. This why anyone who wants to go to heaven must totally avoid suicide. Suicide is of the devil and the Bible doesn’t condone it.
Suicide has at times let it mark on the grieving relatives of the person who took his life. They have lots of anxiety and plus have a tough time finding answers. It affects friends too. About a few years ago a non-Christian friend of mine too killed himself due to depression. I felt bad that all he had to do was tell me and I would have stopped him from taking such a drastic step by counseling him well. However he didn’t. So, I had to spend time in prayer too, so that I could come to terms with his death.
People with depression often try to show a ‘happy’ face to others. This doesn’t actually help them. A person who has suicidal tendencies must speak up to who can help out. Staying silent won’t make things better. Getting more things in life doesn’t cut off depression every time.
A bitter truth is that even abundance of luxuries and fame is not a safeguard against suicide. Lot’s of rock musicians committed suicide even before their reached their forties. Judas got money by betraying Jesus but what did he do after that? He committed suicide instead of going in for genuine repentance. Hitler too was not willing to face the consequences of his crimes and so it’s said that he killed himself. He had lots of riches and technology at his disposal but that didn’t help him. The worst people who use suicide are suicide bomber terrorists. Obviously they won’t go to heaven either because they have killed innocents.
This vile and detestable crime of suicide must never be committed by any person and more so by him who believes in Christ as his true hope. If you go through the Bible, there is no person, prophet nor saint who committed suicide and then went to heaven. None, absolutely.
Rarely does anyone commit suicide on the spur of the moment. This happens due to the person getting befuddled by suicidal thoughts. For about 2 years I used to interact with people who were kept on a suicide watch and I noticed that these people get depressed easily. A suicidal gentleman told me to be careful of how I speak to him as he was under suicide watch. I was amused at his request but decided to speak only wisely and kindly to him as a matter of courtesy.
Such people are not be laughed at nor thought of as lesser beings. There may be genuine reasons as to why they get depressed. Maybe they lost a loved one or were cheated in a cruel way. Some may have gone through a vicious divorce or some may have had drugs. I’ve heard that chemical imbalances too are responsible. In certain cases we just don’t know why. So we must not provoke such people any more to depression but rather be kind to them. If you can’t be kind then avoid speaking to them at least. Abatement to suicide is treated as a crime in most countries and is taken very seriously by the police.
There is no need to mock people who commit suicide. You won’t get them back from the grave. No need to insult their families for the same. If you suspect foul play then report it to the police with due evidence but don’t spread rumors.
Now if you are facing depression then don’t ignore it. Don’t feed it with wrong thoughts, wrong persons and wrong situations. Take down the roots of it not just the outward expressions of it. Take courage and consolation in the Lord. Surrender your thoughts to God. Resist all the thoughts of depression, anxiety and suicide. Do it in the name of Jesus. Remember that the Lord God loves. Christ cares for you at all times. So pour out your heart to God.
You can also speak to a professional as per your situation. A good preacher of the word will show you how to overcome bad thoughts spiritually. I don’t rule out medical help either. Even competent mental health-care professionals can help in such cases.
Sometimes others need help from us. If others are showing depressive behaviors which point toward the suicidal, then help them out. If you can’t help then lead them to others who actually can. A warning; if you yourself are facing thoughts of death to yourself then avoid counseling another suicidal person. It could be tough on both of you. So avoid it by all means and but inform someone who can actually help. You are still being a responsible person though you can’t directly help. Be happy with that.
Here’s a few Scripture verses are of good help in tackling depression and deadly thoughts:
- Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad. (Proverbs 12:25)
- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
- The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him who is weary. Morning by morning he awakens; he awakens my ear to hear as those who are taught. (Isaiah 50:4)
- But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. (Psalm 3:3)
- If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand. (Psalm 37:23-24)
- I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. (Psalm 40:1-3)
- Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. (Psalm 42:11)
- Answer me quickly, O LORD, my spirit fails; Do not hide Your face from me, Or I will become like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear Your loving kindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift up my soul. Deliver me, O LORD, from my enemies; I take refuge in You (Psalm 143:7-9)
- “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:2)
- Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. To Him be dominion forever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 5:6-11)
- Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
- Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)