Time and again, through the news media online and in print, I have come to know about the death of a famous actor or actress due to suicide. Let me tell you that nothing is good about it. It’s a bad thing for a person who commits suicide. Because they go to hell and are damned for all eternity. As they have committed murder (against themselves) but didn’t repent of it, so it’s not possible for them to repent once dead. This why anyone who wants to go to heaven must totally avoid suicide. Suicide is of the devil and the Bible doesn’t condone it.
Suicide has at times let it mark on the grieving relatives of the person who took his life. They have lots of anxiety and plus have a tough time finding answers. It affects friends too. About a few years ago a non-Christian friend of mine too killed himself due to depression. I felt bad that all he had to do was tell me and I would have stopped him from taking such a drastic step by counseling him well. However he didn’t. So, I had to spend time in prayer too, so that I could come to terms with his death.
People with depression often try to show a ‘happy’ face to others. This doesn’t actually help them. A person who has suicidal tendencies must speak up to who can help out. Staying silent won’t make things better. Getting more things in life doesn’t cut off depression every time.
A bitter truth is that even abundance of luxuries and fame is not a safeguard against suicide. Lot’s of rock musicians committed suicide even before their reached their forties. Judas got money by betraying Jesus but what did he do after that? He committed suicide instead of going in for genuine repentance. Hitler too was not willing to face the consequences of his crimes and so it’s said that he killed himself. He had lots of riches and technology at his disposal but that didn’t help him. The worst people who use suicide are suicide bomber terrorists. Obviously they won’t go to heaven either because they have killed innocents.
This vile and detestable crime of suicide must never be committed by any person and more so by him who believes in Christ as his true hope. If you go through the Bible, there is no person, prophet nor saint who committed suicide and then went to heaven. None, absolutely.
Rarely does anyone commit suicide on the spur of the moment. This happens due to the person getting befuddled by suicidal thoughts. For about 2 years I used to interact with people who were kept on a suicide watch and I noticed that these people get depressed easily. A suicidal gentleman told me to be careful of how I speak to him as he was under suicide watch. I was amused at his request but decided to speak only wisely and kindly to him as a matter of courtesy.
Such people are not be laughed at nor thought of as lesser beings. There may be genuine reasons as to why they get depressed. Maybe they lost a loved one or were cheated in a cruel way. Some may have gone through a vicious divorce or some may have had drugs. I’ve heard that chemical imbalances too are responsible. In certain cases we just don’t know why. So we must not provoke such people any more to depression but rather be kind to them. If you can’t be kind then avoid speaking to them at least. Abatement to suicide is treated as a crime in most countries and is taken very seriously by the police.
There is no need to mock people who commit suicide. You won’t get them back from the grave. No need to insult their families for the same. If you suspect foul play then report it to the police with due evidence but don’t spread rumors.
Now if you are facing depression then don’t ignore it. Don’t feed it with wrong thoughts, wrong persons and wrong situations. Take down the roots of it not just the outward expressions of it. Take courage and consolation in the Lord. Surrender your thoughts to God. Resist all the thoughts of depression, anxiety and suicide. Do it in the name of Jesus. Remember that the Lord God loves. Christ cares for you at all times. So pour out your heart to God.
You can also speak to a professional as per your situation. A good preacher of the word will show you how to overcome bad thoughts spiritually. I don’t rule out medical help either. Even competent mental health-care professionals can help in such cases.
Sometimes others need help from us. If others are showing depressive behaviors which point toward the suicidal, then help them out. If you can’t help then lead them to others who actually can. A warning; if you yourself are facing thoughts of death to yourself then avoid counseling another suicidal person. It could be tough on both of you. So avoid it by all means and but inform someone who can actually help. You are still being a responsible person though you can’t directly help. Be happy with that.
Here’s a few Scripture verses are of good help in tackling depression and deadly thoughts:
- Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad. (Proverbs 12:25)
- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
- The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of those who are taught, that I may know how to sustain with a word him who is weary. Morning by morning he awakens; he awakens my ear to hear as those who are taught. (Isaiah 50:4)
- But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. (Psalm 3:3)
- If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand. (Psalm 37:23-24)
- I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. (Psalm 40:1-3)
- Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. (Psalm 42:11)
- Answer me quickly, O LORD, my spirit fails; Do not hide Your face from me, Or I will become like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear Your loving kindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift up my soul. Deliver me, O LORD, from my enemies; I take refuge in You (Psalm 143:7-9)
- “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.” (Romans 12:2)
- Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. To Him be dominion forever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 5:6-11)
- Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
- Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things. (Philippians 4:8)