Thanks be unto the Lord Jesus Christ who has given us the undeniable duty to resist the Devil. As your Holy angels are always opposed to the minions of the Evil One, so let us be opposed to everything that tries to keep us away from following you. May the Holy Spirit encourage us to say no all deceptions of the world. Amen.
As a Christian you have a sacred duty to resist the Devil and all his evil schemes and lies. Don’t be deceived when you say you don’t have a choice. You do have the option to fight back against the falsehood of the Enemy.
Why is resisting the Devil a duty?
- Because this is not an option but an order from the Lord God above.
- Because even if you don’t take it as a duty the Devil will still try to tempt you.
- God forbid that having no sense of duty you end up lowering your guard against sin.
Why is resisting the Devil sacred?
- Because the God has mandated it in the Holy Scriptures.
- Because God’s commands are just and holy.
- It’s a sign that you want to hold on to Christ.
Where in the Holy Scriptures has this been mentioned?
- Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that in due time he may exalt you. Cast all your anxieties on him, for he cares about you. Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour.Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experience of suffering is required of your brotherhood throughout the world. (1 Peter 5:6-9)
- Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)
Some sinner says the Devil made him sin, is that a valid excuse for his sin?
- That sinner made his own choice to sin.
- The Devil only provided the temptation that suited the sinners intellect and personality.
- So the sinner can’t put the blame on the Evil One without blaming himself equally.
So as a believer in Christ, what should I be doing the next time the Devils speaks lies to me by any person, movie, novel or whatever?
- Resist the Devil and his evil tricks in all their forms.
- Fight back for the glory of God.
- Don’t be ashamed of the Gospel no matter who or what is the source of temptation.
How to tackle temptations which are still successful against oneself?
- It’s good that you at least decided to admit you did sin. Strictly speaking it means that you didn’t resist enough.
- There’s still hope for you if you are willing to crucify the flesh. The one who has cut off his sinful desires can’t be tempted easily.
- And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:24)
- A word of caution; don’t try to act like a hero with temptations that easily take you down. If you can keep a distance from them do so by all means. It’s foolish to deliberately place oneself in the way for temptation and give the great deceiver a chance against you.
- and give no opportunity to the devil. (Ephesians 4:27)