All praise and glory to the Lord God Almighty the Father along with our Lord Jesus Christ in union with His Holy Spirit. None other is worthy of worship and adoration. To you be the praise forever. Amen.
A warning that Christians in this age still need to follow is that they keep away from idolatry. That means absolutely NO WORSHIP of idols. Anyone who indulges in this sin risks going to Hell and getting punished on Judgement day as well.
“You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments. (Exodus 20:3-6)
Even an image can be the same type of snare as an idol. The glory of God doesn’t dwell in idols and images. More so, false gods are an abomination to all those who profess faith in the Lord Jesus.
Now just because someone doesn’t have an actual idol doesn’t mean the temptation of idolatry is not there. Loving your car, bank balance, art collection and also your favourite celebrities more than God is the same as the vile sin of idolatry. You must never love your talents in anything more than God. In fact anything in your life that takes the place of God is idolatry. So get rid of every form of idolatry which is in your heart. The below verse confirms this:
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. (Colossians 3:5)
A believer in God might wonder, why is this warning being given as I only worship the Lord God? To answer that, I’d say that anything that you love more than God is idolatry and in the end times idolatry will still be there so one must keep away from it. Even in the New Testament this wicked sin remains condemned forever. You can refer to the following verses:
- Little children, keep yourselves from idols.(1 John 5:21)
- Do not be idolaters as some of them were; as it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink and rose up to play.(1 Corinthians 10:7)
- Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.(1 Corinthians 10:14)
- But I have this against you, that you tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and is teaching and seducing my servants to practice sexual immorality and to eat food sacrificed to idols. I gave her time to repent, but she refuses to repent of her sexual immorality. Behold, I will throw her onto a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her I will throw into great tribulation, unless they repent of her works. (Revelation 2:20-22)
- The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk. (Revelation 9:20)
- But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death. (Revelation 21:8)
Also, the Anti Christ (also called as the Beast) and the false prophet who are opposed to the Lord God will use the image of the Beast to obtain adoration. The Holy Scripture’s openly curses and condemns those who worship the image of the Beast mentioned in Bible prophecy.
And another angel, a third, followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink the wine of God’s wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.” (Revelation 14:9-11)
And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. (Revelation 19:20)
Right from Genesis to Revelation the Bible keeps warning us against being idolators. Even in the end times idolatry will still exist and the Devil will use it so that the Beast receives the worship that belongs to God alone. No wonder we are called to keep away from idols and images if we truly are to honour the Lord God of Heaven Earth.
Suggested prayer: O Lord God forgive me of any form of idolatry that I may have knowingly or unknowingly indulged in. To you belong all worship, glory and adoration and no other. Forgive me for every time when I loved my riches, talents, friends and relatives more than you. I ask pardon for every instance where I considered anything more important in my life than you the Lord of Heaven and Earth. Also, I repent of all worship and adoration of false idols and images that I gave homage to. I resolve to follow your Son Jesus Christ and believe in the Gospel. Cleanse me of my sins and lead me by your Holy Spirit everyday. Amen and Amen.
For a believer in Christ is there is no better life than to live a life pleasing to God. Do not be concerned with pleasing a fallen world which is highly fickle and sinful. They do not have a true to sense of justice and easily fall prey to their lusts and vanities of life. You have been taken out the ways of darkness into the light of Christ in which you are encouraged to live on forever. Do no fall back into the world. Remember this; And the world passes away, and the lust thereof: but he that does the will of God abides forever. (1 John 2:17)
Making the world your backbone is one of the worst choices one can do. Because the world will be judged due to its sinfulness then on what would one lean on? Though the world loves sinners yet it also ends up dishonoring them in the end. For instance, the world likes lustful movies which promote adulterous lifestyles but if a man gets divorced due to his adultery, then the world is the first to condemn him, that’s how hypocritical it has become. Besides, the world will only love you as long as it can extract benefits from you. After that it will keep away from you as if you never existed.
Therefore, put your trust in the Lord God and do not live for the sinful ways of the world. You got out of the grime of wickedness by God’s grace, so now keep yourself clean. This is not about yourself but rather about God. Yes, our God who has willed by Jesus Christ that you be saved from sin and damnation. You are not living for yourself but for Christ Jesus! Live by the Holy Spirit for the glory of God every hour and every day. That is the real best life now (and forever).
Here are a few verses from the Holy Scriptures to reflect upon (a bit long but worth the reading):
- So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive good or evil, according to what he has done in the body. (2 Corinthians 5:9-10)
- Now this I affirm and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds; they are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart; they have become callous and have given themselves up to licentiousness, greedy to practice every kind of uncleanness. You did not so learn Christ!— assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus. Put off your old nature which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and put on the new nature, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. (Ephesians 4:17-24)
- Finally, brethren, we beseech and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you learned from us how you ought to live and to please God, just as you are doing, you do so more and more. For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from unchastity; that each one of you know how to take a wife for himself in holiness and honor, not in the passion of lust like heathen who do not know God; that no man transgress, and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we solemnly forewarned you. For God has not called us for uncleanness, but in holiness. Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you. But concerning love of the brethren you have no need to have any one write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another; and indeed you do love all the brethren throughout Macedo′nia. But we exhort you, brethren, to do so more and more, to aspire to live quietly, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we charged you; so that you may command the respect of outsiders, and be dependent on nobody. (1 Thessalonians 4:1-12)
1) Remember that sin doesn’t pay well.
2) Know that sinners don’t have a good end.
3) Focus on the love of Christ.
4) Get a good hobby which replaces your sinning habit.
5) Crucify the flesh and its sinful desires.
6) Memorize scripture so that you be holy.
7) Hear the testimonies of those who left sin.
8) Pray for grace to resist sin.
9) Be attentive to the Holy Spirit.
10) Do not give up on God.
As a believer in Christ you are no longer a slave to sin. To understand this, lets read John chapter 8 verses 31 to 35
31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, ‘You will become free’?” 34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. 35 The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
You are called to be free, no longer a slave. Slavery to sin is the worst of all. Because this slavery continues in hell for all eternity. Only the Son of God can set you free from sin and death.
You are called to be with God forever as his child. Though it’s a great honor to be an angel of God it’s even a greater honor to be in truth a child of the Lord God.
Now let’s read Galatians chapter 4 verses 1 to 7
1I mean that the heir, as long as he is a child, is no different from a slave, though he is the owner of everything, 3but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by his father. 3 In the same way we also, when we were children, were enslaved to the elementary principles of the world. 4 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. 6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.
Jesus redeemed you from the curse of the law so that you get adopted as a child of God. So never think of Christianity as following a set of laws. It’s about being a right relationship with God through Jesus. You need to believe in the Gospel.
Let’s read Romans chapter 8 verses 12 to 17
12 So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. 13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
You are called to no longer live by the works of the flesh. But rather be led by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit will remind of you of the things of God. He bears witness that you are a child of God. Do not therefore worry about your sins but repent of them. Be free not for evil but for the Lord Jesus who loves you so much.
Why was Jesus born?
Answer : Jesus was born because God wanted to save mankind and give us eternal life through him. All have sinned. Sin brought it it death to the human race. However, nobody could have gained salvation by their own works or efforts. So God sent his only son Jesus to come as a man and reconcile all people unto God.
Bible verses to reflect on:
John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost
- Happy Birthday and Happy Birthday to the Lord Jesus Christ Aka Christ Jesus (shawneejohnsonministries.wordpress.com)
- True Meaning (dontgetcomfortableblog.wordpress.com)
- WHY JESUS CAME- He Came to Save Us (heulu.wordpress.com)
- The First Christmas Gift (revsalmancini.wordpress.com)
- Jesus Is the Reason for the Season (grethestanley.wordpress.com)