Posted by pray2christ
One must value one’s salvation that comes from Christ. This should manifest in your thoughts, words and actions. So to this effect we must remember to avoid speaking like a deceived person.
A deceived person doesn’t have control over his tongue. It doesn’t mean that his tongue has gone numb or got some disease like it. What it means is that he is only speaking things that are not good. Now he speaks falsehood to get his work done for he has no bother about his punishment in hell. At parties and outings he cracks vulgar jokes for he doesn’t value decency. He speaks with much seductive speech with women though he is already married or in a committed relationship. Such a deceived person has zero regard for the mental state of others. So he yells and screams and is rude to whomever he can safely target, be it at office, home etc. He prides himself in being sarcastic as he sees it as a sign of ‘intellect’.
Men can live deceived lives such as this but so also can women. A deceived woman spreads lies about another woman’s married life and spoils her name. She doesn’t own up when cornered with the facts but invents tales that never happened. She in the name of being liberated tries to match men in their sins of speech though freedom was never meant for sinning but for being good. Such women say in their heart that their sinful words will be overlooked because they live in a free society which aims for welfare of women. They are dead wrong even though they may not live in places like Afghanistan or Sudan. For their hearts only look at the physical world and not the world after death. For hell takes prisoners of those who act like deceived individuals, both men and women.
No wonder then as people who love and believe in Jesus Christ, we are not to speak like those who are deceived. We are called to a life that is pure and pleasing to the Lord God. This is not that hard when you realize that God will give you the grace to continue in him. Have your faith in Jesus and you won’t find the need to speak what is unholy. Don’t be part of those who hate the Light because these are the ones who will be judged for not having faith in Jesus the Light of the World.
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God. (John 3:16-21)
Here’s a list of scriptures that can help you speak without guile and without acting like a deceived person:
- Exodus 20:16 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- Proverbs 10:19 When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent.
- Proverbs 12:18-19 There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. false witness endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
- Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.
- Proverbs 29:20 Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.
- Matthew 12:36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak
- Luke 6:45 The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
- Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
- Colossians 3:8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
- James 1:26 If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.
I’ve also included things that you are encouraged to remember when speaking:
- Psalm 118:17 I shall not die, but I shall live, and recount the deeds of the Lord.
- Proverbs 16:23-24 The heart of the wise makes his speech judicious and adds persuasiveness to his lips. Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.
- Proverbs 17:27-28 Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.
- Proverbs 18:13 If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame.
- Proverbs 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.
- Proverbs 27:2 Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips.
- Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is fashioned against you shall succeed, and you shall confute every tongue that rises against you in judgment. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord and their vindication from me, declares the Lord.
- John 3:34 For he whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure.
- Acts 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.
- 2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God’s word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ.
- Day #227: Prov 14-15 & 1 Cor 1:1-17
- What I Say Matters
- Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth: A Reflection on Common Sins of Speech
- Prudent living can keep you from danger
- Think Before You Speak and Before You Act
- The Tongue That Defiles
- What does the Bible say about lying?
- The power of the tongue