Quick Reminder : Always remember this when faced with temptation
In this fallen world do take heed that there are temptations but don’t be dismayed about them. Instead always remember this when faced with temptation:
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)
Verses for reflection:
An evil man is trapped by his rebellious speech, but a righteous man escapes from trouble. (Proverbs 12:13)
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. (Matthew 6:13)
then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment (2 Peter 2:9)
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. (Hebrews 10:23)
Tempt no one
Tempt no one to sin ever,
Though you be naive or clever.
Refrain from such a sin,
Lest your hope become thin.
Remember that no tempter is allowed in paradise,
For God’s kingdom detests all vice.
Tempt not for leisure nor treasure nor pleasure,
Lest God’s judgement you’d get in full measure.
Do not entice your friend nor foe nor neighbour,
Lest for your place in Hades you labour.
For its gate is wide and entry much cheap,
And the unrepentant there their torments reap.
But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea
As a Christian you have a sacred duty to resist
Thanks be unto the Lord Jesus Christ who has given us the undeniable duty to resist the Devil. As your Holy angels are always opposed to the minions of the Evil One, so let us be opposed to everything that tries to keep us away from following you. May the Holy Spirit encourage us to say no all deceptions of the world. Amen.
As a Christian you have a sacred duty to resist the Devil and all his evil schemes and lies. Don’t be deceived when you say you don’t have a choice. You do have the option to fight back against the falsehood of the Enemy.
Why is resisting the Devil a duty?
- Because this is not an option but an order from the Lord God above.
- Because even if you don’t take it as a duty the Devil will still try to tempt you.
- God forbid that having no sense of duty you end up lowering your guard against sin.
Why is resisting the Devil sacred?
- Because the God has mandated it in the Holy Scriptures.
- Because God’s commands are just and holy.
- It’s a sign that you want to hold on to Christ.
Where in the Holy Scriptures has this been mentioned?
- Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that in due time he may exalt you. Cast all your anxieties on him, for he cares about you. Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour.Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experience of suffering is required of your brotherhood throughout the world. (1 Peter 5:6-9)
- Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)
Some sinner says the Devil made him sin, is that a valid excuse for his sin?
- That sinner made his own choice to sin.
- The Devil only provided the temptation that suited the sinners intellect and personality.
- So the sinner can’t put the blame on the Evil One without blaming himself equally.
So as a believer in Christ, what should I be doing the next time the Devils speaks lies to me by any person, movie, novel or whatever?
- Resist the Devil and his evil tricks in all their forms.
- Fight back for the glory of God.
- Don’t be ashamed of the Gospel no matter who or what is the source of temptation.
How to tackle temptations which are still successful against oneself?
- It’s good that you at least decided to admit you did sin. Strictly speaking it means that you didn’t resist enough.
- There’s still hope for you if you are willing to crucify the flesh. The one who has cut off his sinful desires can’t be tempted easily.
- And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:24)
- A word of caution; don’t try to act like a hero with temptations that easily take you down. If you can keep a distance from them do so by all means. It’s foolish to deliberately place oneself in the way for temptation and give the great deceiver a chance against you.
- and give no opportunity to the devil. (Ephesians 4:27)
A reminder of God’s love for those who believe in Christ
For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:7-8)
See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure. (1 John 3:1-3)
In your walk with God sometimes you may face temptations, sometimes you might be rejected by those who reject Christ our Lord and sometimes you might flying high above the opposition. What will sustain you and keep you from losing faith? It is none than your relationship with God. Christianity is ultimately is about being in a relationship with God in Christ Jesus. A relationship has emotions involved. God does express his emotions.
For those who believe in Christ the most prominent emotion by God is love. God loves you a lot. You cannot earn God’s love. There is no good deed that can cause him to love you more. All you need to do is to receive his love. Don’t block yourself out of the love of God by depending on worthless human tradition, self-abasement and worldly philosophies. Receive his love through his Son Jesus Christ. Christ’s love for us exceeds anything and everything. No one could possibly love you more. You sin is atoned for by Jesus Christ. Live no longer for the sinful world nor for any sin. Receive the freedom that Christ gives you through his redeeming sacrifice and shedding of his blood for you. Overcome because you believe in Jesus the overcomer of the world. Be holy therefore as the Lord your God is holy.
Trust in the Lord your God with your heart. Believe in his love for he is near to all who call on his name, in faith.
Christ be with you!