Bible verses against despair
O those who believe in Jesus Christ, do not live in despair nor live without hope, for Jesus is our good hope in this fallen world. Happy are those who trust in Jesus more than the things of this world.
Meditate on the following Bible verses against despair and you will be filled with hope you wait upon the Lord God. Here we go:
- We are experiencing trouble on every side, but are not crushed; we are perplexed, but not driven to despair; we are persecuted, but not abandoned; we are knocked down, but not destroyed, always carrying around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be made visible in our body. (2 Corinthians 4:8-9)
- He has rescued us from a terrible death, and he will rescue us in the future. We are confident that he will continue to rescue us. (2 Corinthians 1:10)
- Why are you in despair, my soul? Why are you disturbed within me? Hope in God, because I will praise him once again, since his presence saves me and he is my God. (Psalm 43:5)
- For you are my hope, Lord GOD, my security since I was young. I depended on you since birth, when you brought me from my mother’s womb; I praise you continuously. (Psalm 71:5-6)
- Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living. Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord. (Psalm 27:13-14)
- I am counting on the Lord; yes, I am counting on him. I have put my hope in his word. (Psalm 130:5)
- I waited patiently for the LORD to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. (Psalm 40:1-2)
- Looking unto Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. (Hebrews 12:2-3)
- Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)
- LORD, you know the hopes of the helpless. Surely you will hear their cries and comfort them. (Psalm 10:17)
- But my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)
- Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. (Matthew 10:29-31)
- The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand. (Psalm 37:23-24)
- I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)
- And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. (Colossians 3:15)
- For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. (Isaiah 41:13)
- The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom will I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom will I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)
- And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)
- The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (Psalm 18:2)
- No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (24. 1 Corinthians 10:13)
- So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you! Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised. (Hebrews 10:35-36)
When my world falls apart
And all’s crashing in
When I’m overwhelmed
By the depth of my sin
When doubts seem to crowd
And fear closes in
I know where to go
To find renewal within
When all of my hope
Lies shattered and broken
And the comforts of friends
Seem no more than a token
I quickly retreat
To the Word He has spoken
And find contained there
The Christ I have hope in
—Vicki Plaster Baird
Stop the Monday whining and complaining
Before I get to the point, let’s give all praise and glory to our Lord Jesus Christ for every spiritual blessing that we have in him. Let’s thank God for sending Jesus for our salvation and freedom from sin and death. Now let’s ask the Holy Spirit to lead us in all truth and keep us free from all deception.
Nowadays its profoundly common to see a meme on various social media websites which basically shows someone, usually a baby, crying and the words on the picture say, “It’s Monday again!”. Good grief, what stupidity has this world come to? Instead of motivating each other to face life bravely, some weirdo comes up with a cry baby version of starting the working week and this stupidity goes viral! When was the last time wisdom went viral? Can’t recollect it, right? Because all this stupidity is made to look funny and in the name of fun people pass it on to others to get a vain laugh. The devil uses people’s dependence on foolish entertainment to make them more foolish. There are three truths one must hold on to when any such memes about Mondays come up.
Firstly, there is no need to be sad about Mondays. Many people never got up on Monday because they died on Sunday. Be happy that you are alive on Monday. Why are you even feeling sad? Some complain that one has to go back to work. Really, is that the best excuse? You are going to work because you in your free will chose to get that job. If you are not happy with that, please give that job to the many people, in fact thousands of people who are unemployed for months. Not just about work, we have the kids and youth who complain about going to school or college on Mondays. Maybe these people don’t appreciate the fact that many other youngsters in the world do NOT have access to education and put to slave labour in which they are not paid at all. Yes this actually happens in certain Third world nations. Why does one have to be stupidly unhappy about the fact that you can do so much good on a Monday? No one good reason to be sad about it.
Secondly, there is no need to encourage others to be sad about Mondays. You are called to give hope to others. Is this how a person of faith should make others feel bad instead of telling them how to go forward in life? Either one is faithless or is simply into the hands of the sinful world to say that Mondays are times be in despair just because you have to face life at work, school or college.
Thirdly, we must live a life with our hope in God instead of whining and complaining all the while. The one who hopes in God knows that one’s earthly existence is only temporary. There is a time to pass into eternity and live in heaven in the presence of God and his holy angels where one will lack no good thing and will always be happy. That is if one truly believes unto the Lord Jesus Christ for his or her salvation. Now one might wonder, what is to be done in one’s times on earth. I’d say don’t spend it complaining and whining. Spending your time exaggerating your problems is not going to help anyone. Instead of glorifying your problems, start using wisdom in tackling them. There are lots of principles in the Bible that you could put to use to face your challenges in life, instead of posting your worries on social media or messaging to earn sympathies from some and ridicule from the rest who don’t care. Pray often and give your worries to the Lord God who cares for you. Don’t handle it alone.
A few scripture verses along with some explaining that should help you help in this regard. Here we go:
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. (Proverbs 17:22) (Being depressed is going to make you feel weak but if you are joyful you will be much relaxed.)
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. (Philippians 4:6) (You are encouraged to bring all your fears and anxieties in prayer to God.)
What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. (James 4:1-3) (Impure passions causes quarrels and fights with others. Prayers said with impure motives are not acceptable to God. So pray with pure motives instead.)
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10) (In Christ Jesus, you have a lot of good works to do. Be grateful to God for that and keep doing those good things.)
Does your love for money control you?
The world glorifies achievers. Nothing wrong with being an achiever of good things in life. But where the world is in error is where it proclaims the pursuit of money as the end all be all of life. A person who climbs up the Seven Summits is usually given a great deal of respect. However, what’s odd is there’s still even greater respect for those who are billionaires as if they climbed a thousand summits. People will try to verify if a mountaineer used drugs or other illegal methods to cope up with the tough climb but avoid checking if a billionaire is ethical in his pursuit of profits.
I always like doing great things for my country. There are those who shine well in athletics and sports for their fatherland. Some show respect for their nation by doing business and earning lots of revenue and then donating to charity. Others who are a despicable lot, end up being traitors to their own nation for blood diamonds and money. So money itself is neutral, it’s your attitude towards it and your actions to get it which prove whether you are for good or for evil. That is why you must curb your passion towards gaining wealth and instead concentrate on God who gives you the good things of his Kingdom.
God gives you the ability to get money
Now Isaac sowed in that land and reaped in the same year a hundredfold. And the LORD blessed him, and the man became rich, and continued to grow richer until he became very wealthy; for he had possessions of flocks and herds and a great household, so that the Philistines envied him. (Genesis 26:12-14)
You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. (Deuteronomy 8:18)
The blessing of the LORD makes rich, and he adds no sorrow with it. (Proverbs 10:22)
Understand why the love of money is evil
But those who want to be rich fall into temptation, a trap, and many foolish and harmful desires, which plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and by craving it, some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains. (1 Timothy 6:9-10)
As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. (Matthew 13:22)
The greedy bring ruin to their households, but the one who hates bribes will live. (Proverbs 15:27)
Put no trust in extortion; set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, set not your heart on them. (Psalm 62:10)
So avoid the love of money
“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. (Matthew 6:24)
If you have lots of money don’t put your hope in it
Those who trust in their riches will fall, but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf. (Proverbs 11:28)
As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy.They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share,thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.( 1 Timothy 6:17-19)
Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for God has said, “I will never leave you or abandon you.” (Hebrews 13:5)
Prayer: O Lord Jesus, I pray that I be set free from the love of money. Let me have the right attitude towards money. Give me the wisdom to only use righteous ways to obtain wealth. Give me sufficient money to provide for my family and community. Direct me to the poor and needy and church ministries that reach out to preach to unbelievers, so that I may bless them with both my finances and prayers for them. Thank you God, thank you Jesus, thank you Holy Spirit. Amen.
Further reading: Matthew 6:1-6, Matthew 6:16-21.